Welcome back, party animals! Today, we’re diving into the world of drinking games. More specifically, we’re going to explore some exciting options that don’t involve the classic tradition of taking shots. Whether you’re looking to mix up your game night or planning a party where not everyone is a fan of hard liquor, fear not – we’ve got you covered.
Ah, yes, the beloved game of flip cup. If you’ve been to a college party or joined a fraternity or sorority, chances are you’re already familiar with this classic drinking game. The rules are simple, yet the competition is fierce. Here’s a quick rundown:
- Divide into two teams and line up on opposite sides of a table.
- Place a plastic cup filled with your beverage of choice at the edge of the table.
- Players must drink their entire cup and then, using only one hand, place it upside down on the edge of the table or flip it over completely, so it lands right-side up.
- Only after successfully flipping the cup can the next teammate begin their turn.
- The first team to successfully flip all of their cups wins!
Flip cup is a fantastic party game that doesn’t require shots. Instead, you can customize the beverage to be whatever you like – from beer to cider, soda, or even fruity mocktails for those who prefer not to consume alcohol. So gather your friends, set up a table, and let the flippin’ fun begin!
No list of drinking games would be complete without mentioning the infamous beer pong. Another favorite among college students, this game combines skill, strategy, and a bit of luck. The concept is simple: throw a ping pong ball into a cup of beer on the other side of a table. Here’s how to play:
- Arrange ten cups in a pyramid shape at each end of a long table.
- Fill each cup with a desired amount of beer.
- Teams take turns throwing a ping pong ball, aiming to land it in one of the opposing team’s cups.
- If a ball lands in a cup, the opposing team must drink its contents and remove the cup from play.
- The first team to eliminate all of the opposing team’s cups wins the game.
Just like flip cup, beer pong doesn’t require shots to be enjoyable. In fact, you can adapt this game by using non-alcoholic beverages or even water for a more inclusive experience. The key is to focus on the fun, the competition, and the camaraderie among friends!
Now, let’s move on to one of the most versatile drinking card games – Kings. This game has countless variations but shares the same basic premise: draw cards, follow the associated rule, and have a great time. Here’s a simplified version of how to play:
- Gather a deck of cards and place them in a circle, facedown, around a large, empty vessel, such as a cup or bowl.
- Each card has a unique rule or action associated with it. Here are a few common ones:
|The player who drew the card pours a shot of their choice into a communal shot glass, which is later consumed by the “king,” the person who draws the fourth king.
|The player who drew the card selects someone to take a drink.
|Everyone drinks, including the person who drew the card.
|The player who drew the card makes a rule that everyone must follow until the next 10 is drawn.
|Start a rhyme, and each subsequent player must add to it. The first person to mess up or repeat a word takes a drink.
- Players take turns drawing cards and following the corresponding rules or actions.
- The game continues until all the cards have been drawn, or everyone is blissfully tipsy.
Kings is a fantastic way to liven up any party, and the best part? The adaptability. You can easily replace drinking actions with non-alcoholic alternatives or even fun and silly challenges to accommodate everyone’s preferences.
Never Have I Ever
We couldn’t compile a list of drinking games without mentioning the classic icebreaker game – Never Have I Ever. This game is perfect for getting to know your friends on a deeper, sometimes embarrassing, level. Here’s how it works:
- Gather in a circle and have everyone hold up three to five fingers.
- One person starts by saying something they have never done, starting with “Never have I ever…”
- Anyone who has done what was stated must put one finger down.
- Players continue taking turns, stating new experiences, until someone runs out of fingers.
- The first person to run out of fingers is deemed the “loser” and, in some versions of the game, takes a predetermined number of sips.
Never Have I Ever is a fantastic game that creates laughter and reveals surprising stories. The best part is that you can easily modify the “sips” to be non-alcoholic beverages or even a bite of your favorite snack, making it a game that everyone can enjoy, regardless of their drinking preferences.
And there you have it – a roundup of some fantastic drinking games that don’t involve taking shots! From the suspenseful flip cup to the strategic beer pong, the versatile Kings to the revealing Never Have I Ever, there’s a game for everyone. Remember, it’s not about the type of drink in your hand – it’s about the memories, laughter, and friendships that these games create.
So, let the games begin, and may your cups always be full of fun!